Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Week 3

This past week I tried to take it a little easier so that I wouldn't ruin my recovery. We stayed at home quite a bit, but I still felt guilty about keeping Josie in all the time. The summer and warm, sunny days are precious when you have several months of cold winter ahead. Before my relax days, I got bold and decided to take the kids on a half-day outing. After nap-time we ran errands, went shopping, and ended up at the mall play area. I brought only the single stroller since the double is pretty bulky and I didn't want to be lifting it. It ended up being me holding Donny with one arm (since he would cry if I put him down), pushing the stroller with the other, and herding Josie by calling out commands. It was kinda tough. Of course, as we walked through the mall toward the play area, Josie started running wild and Donny was crying cause he was hungry. It was quite a sight. As soon as I sat down and started nursing him, Josie collided with another kid and got a bloody nose. I tried to console her while keeping him nursing with one arm. Luckily, another mom stepped in to help. Maybe I'll try another outing next week. I'm sure it'll get easier, right?

Here's what Donny thought of the day: Good grief!!


So far, little Donovan is taking some getting used to. He is much different from Josie. Josie almost never cried, and when she did, it was very mild. Donny is quite the screamer so far! When he is wide awake, he is very content. When he is asleep, he is very content. It's that in between time where he is not quite sure if he wants to sleep or be awake that makes him very upset. Like every baby, he wants to be held 24/7 so I do my best to comply. He also hates having a dirty diaper. I'm pretty sure Josie could have gone all day without a change and she wouldn't have cared. Donny is happiest when he has been freshly changed. Can you blame him?
I finally bought a wrap that I love. The first carrier I bought when Josie was a newborn was an Amy Coe sling. I tried it once and it made me really nervous since it didn't seem very safe or comfortable so I returned it. Then, what do you know, they were recalled!!! Anyway, then I tried a Moby. I liked it ok, but it was a lot of fabric for me. I just couldn't seem to wear it right. I finally bought a Baby K'tan. I love it!!! It wraps up top like a Moby, but without all the extra fabric. It feels way more natural and secure too. It was almost twice as much as a Moby, but well worth it. I get so much more done when I am not trying to do things with one hand while I hold Donny with the other. I have just been wearing him around instead.
Though he cries more than Josie did, I think he is a better sleeper so far. He has only been nursing 2-3 times at night (11:00-8:00). He wakes briefly sometimes, but when I go to feed him, he falls back asleep before he can eat. I haven't been taking naps during the day and I feel like I am doing ok on the sleep I'm getting. I probably need more, but I'm not exhausted. Plus, naptime is precious since I need to catch up on a lot of things right now. Josie sleeps 12 straight hours at night, but only takes about a 1 or 1 1/2 hour nap during the day and that time goes by quickly.
I'm not sure how much Donny weighs at this point, but he has already grown out of a lot of his newborn clothes. I hope he gets nice and chubby like Josie was. He has a check-up next week, so I'll update stats then.

I really wanted to have some pictures of me and my babies. The pictures are usually of Kevin and the kids since I'm usually the photographer. I have very few good ones of just Jos and I, and I really wanted some of Donny and I too. I made Kevin play photographer. I think he did pretty well! It was extremely challenging getting Josie to cooperate with picture time. I had to bribe her with raisins to sit on my lap long enough to snap a picture. Very few ended up being usable. She was a live wire that evening! As soon as we let her outside, she was running wild. We had to settle on just a few shots of the three of us and had to finally just start taking action shots since she was not going to settle down for a nice pose.

Here she is wanting me to say a prayer with her:

She's so reverent, lol.




Had to throw a cute daddy one in there.......











Oh, and of course we had to recreate the drum photo with Donny. What you don't see is the squirts of poo that got all over the backdrop right before we snapped the picture. Thank you Photoshop!!

5 comments:

April said...

Oh my goodness, those are some cute kids! And you look fantastic.

Shelley said...

Those are great pictures!! You look amazing and the kids are adorable!

karen said...

Such sweet pictures - Donovan looks like a honey, and we KNOW that Josie is!

Super B said...

Good luck with the next outing! You and the kids all look great. I love that we are living like parallel lives...it makes me feel good that there are others out there doing the same things as me!

Katie said...

Love all these pictures! What photoshop are you using these days?