Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Progression

Just some thoughts I've been having lately:
I've had moments this pregnancy (usually when someone had a cranky day) when I've doubted my ability to handle 3 children. Sometimes the thought of having 2 toddlers and a newborn sounds totally terrifying to me. Of course it doesn't help that everyone is always telling me how easy and well-behaved my kids are. It's true, they are pretty good kids and I am left thinking, "Crap. If I can hardly handle my 2 angel children, I must not be a very good mom!" I think a big part of it is pregnancy exhaustion makes me feel like I can't or at least don't want to do anything. I'm hoping this will pass and I will get that new baby energy that I've gotten before. Even now as I am entering the 3rd trimester, I am getting more energy and feeling better about my abilities.
It's interesting how the motherhood progression works. I remember when Josie was born, everything was new and different and many things were much harder than before. As they say, babies change everything. It was hard at first, but became easier and easier as I got the hang of things. As she approached a year, I started feeling up to a new challenge and got the itch for another baby. I felt ready.
The first year with Donny was a little rough for me. Neither of my kids were amazing sleepers the first year, but Donny was especially hard at night. He was fairly needy and sensitive. Now as a toddler, he is seriously the easiest child. He sleeps like a champ (both of them do) and is not especially naughty (yet). The transition from one child to two was hard, but it progressively got easier. Once again, as Donny neared the one year mark, I felt ready to make the jump to three.
As a new mom, one child was hard. Then after having two, one seems like such a piece of cake! I sometimes think about how totally simple my life would be if I only had Josie or only had Donny. I suspect it will be the same with #3. At first, I'm sure I will feel overwhelmed and look back at how easy things were with only 2. Hopefully, things will settle down after a few months and thoughts of a #4 might even be possible.
Anyway, I'm just thankful for that growth and that my kids have come one at a time, lol.
Just out of curiosity: Those of you with 3+ kids, what was harder? Going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3? I have gotten lots of different answers, even that #4 was the hardest. I suspect it depends on the ages of the other kids, their personalities, living situation, etc. Thoughts? Advice?

4 comments:

Super B said...

I am in the same boat! Except my children are not perfect angel children! I have heard many different opinions about what transition was hardest. I think it is always hard having another baby. But then the transition happens and things get into a groove. I am worried for #3, mostly because my #2 is a clingy, needy boy.
I am sure it will be Great!

karen said...

I thought going from 2 to 3 was hard - suddenly I didn't have enough hands! But it probably more depends on the various personalities involved. Rex was an angel and Katie and Scott were...shall we say... "busier."

Ashli Miller said...

I have to say that going from 0 to 2 was the hardest! Going from 2 to 3 has been so much easier, but my twins are 6, so I'm sure that's way different than what you will experience when your third arrives. I know that's not much help, but I wanted to comment anyway!

Julie said...

I don't know what it is like to go from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. But I can tell you that it was super, super hard for me to go from 1 to 3. But mine were closer together in age (since Jacob had just turned 2 when the twins were born) and Jacob has some serious developmental problems. I think that it will take some adjusting because it always does when the family dynamic changes, but just like you did when Donny was born you'll find the rhythm that works for you. Luckily both your kids communicate well and from your other posts are pretty good kids. Get them to help out and it will help them not feel "neglected" when you are busy with the new baby. You'll do great!