Saturday, July 26, 2008

The right time.

We really like our new ward here in Indiana. Everyone was very friendly from the beginning and the members seem really strong. Our first week there, I noticed that we were the only young couple without kids. Normally, you have at least a few couples that are newlyweds or young married couples that haven't taken that step yet. Not in this ward. Everyone, even couples our age have like 3-5 kids already! It's crazy! I met this really nice sister that looked like she was around my age. We were having a nice conversation and she was talking about her husband's schooling and such and then she said something about her kids. I was like, "You have kids?" She has 3 already and she is my age! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a lot of children and I think everyone should reproduce as they see fit. We plan to have our children fairly close together because of Kevin's age. I understand. The reason it made me feel uncomfortable was that later that day, another member (seeing that I was pregnant) asked me how many children I had. I replied that this would be my first. She then asked if we were newlyweds. I replied that we will be married 5 years this year. She had a surprised look on her face and she said something about "starting later." I suddenly felt really uncomfortable like I was somehow weird for waiting to start a family. I know it is not uncommon to have children within the first year of marriage, but I thought it was also common to wait a few years until you are ready. This is not the first time someone has said something or questioned me about our reproduction plans. In another ward, someone asked me if I had a reason for not having children yet. Before I could even say anything, she started this whole speech about how women these days think schooling is more important than a family and that there is no good reason to wait if you are a happily married couple. I kinda brushed it off, cause I knew what was right for us, but I wonder how many couples have been harassed about this. I have had several friends that have had trouble conceiving. Kevin and I had a problem with this as well. Though it was solved fairly quickly, I became more sensitive to the fact that you can't always control how and when you have children. I wish people would be more sensitive to the fact that not everyone gets pregnant right away. You never know someone else's circumstances. It's none of your business anyway! If someone wants to wait, or doesn't even want children, it's between them and the Lord.  I hope that no one ever decides to have children because everyone else is doing it or because they think they have to. When we got married I was only 19 (technically 18 on the day). I was not ready to have kids yet. I wanted to finish school and figure out what we were doing first. It just didn't feel right. It wasn't until last year that we really felt like it was finally right. We prayed about it, and found that it was the right time to start trying. Wow, sorry for the speech! I just wish I had at least one childless friend here so I didn't feel so out of place.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

People are so nosy! Don't let it bother you! Skyler's sister and sister-in-laws keep asking the same types of questions to us. Skyler wants me to say something about not being able to have kids to shut them up. That's not true (as far as we know), but it might make them think twice before they say something. Sorry to hear about that, but just remember that you guys know yourselves more than any stranger does. Congrats again!

karen said...

Some people just don't have any manners. It would be tempting to tell them it's none of their business, but I guess that would alienate them. On the other hand, do you really want people like that for friends? Something to consider...

Jamie said...

You are completely right Emily and I feel the exact same way. I actually witnessed this happening at a Relief Society activity in a previous ward and the women being questioned started crying. Thankfully the Reliefe Society President changed what the lesson was on that Sunday and discussed this exact thing. I thought it was really awesome of her and it helped. If it continues, maybe you can mention to someone how you are feeling. I'm really happy for you and I hope everything gets better.

Brandon and Jenn said...

Amen! Brandon and I will be married 4 years (and I'll be 27) by the time our little bundle of joy is born. I know, gasp, right?! Just as the world is full of uniquely different people so is life full of uniquely different experiences and circumstances. Starting a family is a very personal decision between a husband, wife, and the Lord.

Johnny & Emily said...

You know what emily, remember something you have gained from not having children young....how awesome that you got that "alone time" with your husband. how beautiful it is to love and learn and know this man to be able to even want children. How great it will be to know Kevin as your husband and the father of your child.
A lot of time, couples have a hard time in thier later years who had kids right away. cuz once the kids are out of the house and grown up...there is a husband and wife who do not know eachother as that, but only as "dad" and "mom". Everybody is different and waiting to have children is perfectly fine! :)

Julie said...

There was someone in Tampa who used to make little comments to me about Justin and I not having kids. Things like, "You guys are going on another weekend trip, yeah I guess you can do that when you don't have kids." Or, "I can't believe you bought that, but I guess you have money to spend when you don't have kids." It was so aggravating to me because we only waited a year to start trying to have kids (I was too old to wait much longer) and this was after I had surgery to clear my tubes and we couldn't figure out why we still weren't getting pregnant. There was someone else in the ward who was older, had a couple kids, but had lots of infertility problems like Justin and I who started making comments in front of her about our infertility doctor and that sort of thing - it shut her up and she never made another comment about it. But I thought - you have no idea what our situation is, so you shouldn't be saying anything because it is absolutely none of your business whether we were choosing to be childless right now or not.

That kind of stuff really irks me!

Wendy and Neal said...

I think from where we come from (OC) our generation is a different generation. People waiting to have kids? The nerve! Kim waited 3 years, Danae waited 2 or 3, Elise is waiting, we've waited...instead of people giving us the 3rd degree, shouldn't people be talking about how mature we are for wanting what's best for the kids we bring into the world? For making sure we're ready to take on the enormous responsibility? The nerve of some people, seriously. I wish we were in your ward in Indiana. I'd be a great friend (without kids) for you! :) You'll be a wonderful mother, and soon enough, people will feel dumb for even questioning someone as wonderful as you. Your rant was all very well put! Way to say it all for the rest of us thinking it! :) Love you. <3

A | E said...

People suck but the Gospel rules, just ignore those tards.

Katie said...

I know how you feel, most of my friends are on their second, third, or fourth children and I'm content with just one for now! LOL...I don't know what gives people the idea that they have the green light to say whatever they want? I definitely agree that every couple needs to do what's best for them and definitely pray about it and you can never be led astray!

Anonymous said...

Dan and I were married 10 years before we had our first baby... I was nearly 33 when she was born. I wouldn't worry about what others think.. you do what is right for you and your family!! :) We miss you guys!! Love ya!! Kim