So, this is kind of a big subject and one that I'm sure every mom has an opinion on. Instead of barrage you with all my "lactivist" ideas, I thought maybe I would just share a few things I've found to be helpful. I direct my post at anyone who is planning to breastfeed someday or who didn't/couldn't breastfeed before and wants to give it another try. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have successfully nursed 2 babies for more than a year each and one of them exclusively for 6 months. (Josie had formula a few times before 6 months. This was before I knew about the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding). I have also had some breastfeeding training along with my childbirth education training. Oh, and I go to La Leche meetings every once in a while. That makes me an expert, right? Lol.....
I found some awesome articles that totally cover everything I believe about breastfeeding. I can absolutely attribute my nursing success to many of the tips listed below.
These are both from Dr. Jay Gordon (MD FAAP). He has tons of great info on his website. You can find them here.
Though most mothers begin breastfeeding at least a little (75%), few (only 22%) are still nursing at the recommended 12 months and only 13% do the recommended 6 months exclusive breastfeeding. (WHO recommends 2 years and the AAP just released a statement recommending up to 2 years and beyond).
This isn't because they are lazy or don't want what's best for their babies. Obviously, life events like going back to work, dealing with daily stress, or other such things make a big difference. Even still, I know countless women who really wanted to breastfeed, gave it their best shot, and even sought help from professionals but still eventually gave up before they planned to. For something so natural, it can be really hard sometimes!
Why does this happen? The reasons are probably too numerous to list, but most comes down to lack of adequate information and support for new moms. The first time I saw anyone breastfeed was when I nursed Josie for the first time. No wonder it's so difficult to begin with! It's kept out of sight or under a blanket and soon to be mothers have no idea what it looks like or anything about it. I was truly lucky that I had help and the determination to figure it out.
One of the biggest nursing problems I see or hear about is early supplementation with formula. Even a little supplementation in the first few weeks can hugely deplete your supply. Especially in the beginning, supply is determined by demand. The first few weeks, the amount you nurse tells your breasts how much to make and it's much harder to change once it's told to make less than the baby needs.
I'm so grateful that I gave it a try when Josie was born. Despite our culture being somewhat backwards about breastfeeding and breasts in general, I somehow determined that it was the best for my baby and made it work. I was lucky enough to have the support and information to continue. It's been a wonderful part of the bonding process with my babies and I know it has kept them healthier. Not that it is the only reason, but I'm sure it is a big part of why my kids have been so healthy. Neither one has ever had an ear infection, high fever, or any illness other than mild cold. (I'm sure genetics and luck have a hand in that, too)
Anyway, if this post doesn't apply to you or made you roll your eyes, sorry. Just trying to pass on the love!!
P.S. I'm on a blogging roll!! Next up is pics from Donny's birthday!
3 comments:
Thanks for the info! I'm planning on breastfeeding and will be attending a class on it through my doctor's office.
Its funny because I know a lot of people dont breast feed but in Utah people seem to be all about breast feeding. It seems to be to the point where they kind of look down on those who dont breast feed which I dont think is cool. Im totally on your side. Wanna know what bugs me the most? Is when women give birth and dont even TRY to breast feed. They just let their milk come in, dry up, and then do formula. WHY?? Im a horrible reality tv addict and all the girls on 16 and pregnant do this. Im like ok...lets have our babies born into broken homes, and then make our parents spend hundreds of dollars a month on formula for my baby who I didnt even try to breastfeed. Any who. But all that aside, it can be difficult. I had a hard time when Emma quit nursing. I saw lactation consultants and every thing and she would not get back on and breast feed any more. Luckily she was almost 9 months so i felt good that i was exclusively breastfeeding her until she gave up. I have no idea what I would have done had she quit at an earlier age. Its hard (even as a stay at home mom) to pump every 3-4 hours. Before she quit I had people tell me that their baby "Weaned itself" and i didnt believe them. I thought they just gave up or didnt try and then it happened to me! So ya. Thats me and how I feel. Good post :)
Amen Emily! I've been wanting to post/politically rally (somehow make a big push) for breastfeeding and so I'm going to share those articles on my blog too! Thanks for doing the research and I love, love the gorgeous pics of the blueberry farm in your last post...both put a smile on my face :)
Post a Comment