Sunday, August 7, 2011

Date Night : )

Remember that SNL commercial about the "Mom Jeans?"  The catch phrase of it is: Give her a gift that says, "I'm not a woman anymore. I'm a mom!" In case you haven't seen it, here it is:


Mom Jeans - watch more funny videos      


Well, I don't own any "mom jeans" but sometimes, especially this past year, I've have felt like I wasn't really a woman anymore, just a mom. Being across the country from any family and having only a few close friends, I don't get a break often. Mostly cause I don't allow myself to take other peoples help, so I know its partly my fault. You mom's with family near by don't know how lucky you are when you don't have to pay a babysitter just to go to the dentist! Anyway, as Donny has gotten older and doesn't rely on me for food as much, I have given myself some leeway as far as being away. Just so you know, I've never spent more than 8 hours away from Donny and about 12 hours from Josie. Ever. Not that I have a chance very often. 
I really don't complain cause I love being with my kids, and well, I don't have a choice. Kevin and I have come to realize though, that we really should spend more time together just as a couple. Not that our marriage is in anyway strained, but it's so nice to fall in love over and over again everytime we have time away. So where is this leading? Weekly date night!!!! There is a girl in our ward that the kids both love and is available to babysit once a week for us. It's sooooo nice!! She gets the kids to bed with no problems and even Donny goes right to bed for her! We have been really enjoying our time together going to movies, shopping, going for a walk along the river, doing whatever really! 


This last week, we had a really nice date at the local organic blueberry farm. It was a perfect evening and surprisingly romantic setting. One thing I love about Indiana is all the beautiful farms. We were able to pick over 11 pounds of blueberries!! We are enjoying all the yummy things you can put them in and sharing them with friends. We went at sunset, so there are some cool sunbeams in some of the pics. Definitely going to go picking as much as we can this season!      














3 comments:

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

That is awesome. That was one of my favorite things about Indiana in the short time we lived there. So fun to pick your own food.

Happy Birthday to your cute Donny. You're right, he's absolutely adorable.

Shelley said...

You are so pretty! I love that you guys take the time to do date night. I hope we do that too even when we have kids. It's important!

karen said...

That makes me a little bit jealous! How delicious and what a treat. We saw Sherri and Tom last night. Little snafu with Tom and me. I will blog about it. It was very embarrassing to seem old and senile. He was very kind about it though.