Thursday, August 9, 2012

Donny is 2!!



This pic was from 2-3 months ago. Oh, well.


At 2 years old Donny is:

* 22 pounds and 35 inches. That puts him in the 2% in weight and 60% in height. He is soooo skinny! At least he's on the charts now!

*Can talk in full sentences. He can repeat any word and will repeat an entire sentence if you ask him. He seriously talks like a 3 year old sometimes. He talks a lot more than Josie did at this age. It's so nice to understand what's going on in that big head. It's nice to have a barely 2 year old that can walk up and   say, "Mom, I'm hungry. I want some apple. Can you cut it, please?" or when he comes to me crying I get "Mom, I hurt right there. I fell down. Can you kiss it?" The best is when Josie is bugging him and he tells her to "knock it off!!"

I don't have much video of his cute little voice. Hear is one where you can hear it a little. Oh, and let me   clarify that when I stepped on the cake, there was a towel over it. My shoe never actually touched it : )




* Can count to 12 no problem, then it gets foggy through the teens, but in the end, he declares 20 very proudly

*Quite independent and brave. He will try just about anything and I really have to watch him carefully. Unlike Josie, he has a tendency to take off on his own sometimes. He takes a lot of risks on the playground, and despite being so small, he does pretty well. I rarely have to rescue him and he doesn't really want help with anything. I don't argue with that!

* Finally learned how to climb out of his crib the day before his birthday. Josie never did this. At first I didn't really mind. I figured it would be nice not having to go get him when he wakes up. Lately, it's been driving us a little crazy. I've had to stick around after putting him down to make sure he doesn't climb out. A couple times, I've woken up and realized he beat me downstairs. We haven't converted it to a bed yet, and are still deciding if/when to move him into the bottom bunk in Josie's room. We always planned on them sharing a room sometime, so we got them a bunk bed. I know they would love it, but I'm afraid of them never sleeping again. I think we will wait till the baby needs his crib and decide then.

* Became a little mommy clingy after Rori was born (he's usually daddy's biggest fan), but is still really sweet to her. He comes up and pats her softly and says "Hi Rori! Hi sweetheart!" in a really high pitched voice.

* Is such a bird eater. There is a reason he is so skinny (other than genetics).  He likes to snack and mostly likes fruits and veggies and a little dairy. He rarely eats a lot at one time. Usually, he will take one bite out of each item on his plate and call it done. I have tried so many tactics. I figure he won't starve himself, so I try not to stress about it. Seriously though, sometimes I put him to bed wondering if he even ate a life-sustaining amount of food during the day. He poops everyday, so I guess he's getting something, lol!

*sleeps really well. Well, he did until a few days ago. Let's hope this week is just a phase....... Usually, he never wakes in the night and takes anywhere from a 2-4 hour nap. It used to be 4 to almost 5 hours sometimes till our trip messed up his schedule. It was crazy. I'd put him down at 1-2 in the afternoon and many times he would sleep till Kevin got home at 5:30 or 6. Plus, he would still go to bed at 8ish and go right to sleep! Tired boy! He is a bit of an early riser, though. He used to always be up by 6:30. Lately, it's been 7-7:30ish. Fortunately, he's napping only 2-3 hours now and is sleeping more at night. I like this better.

*When he's tired or trying to calm himself (like when a kid takes is toy or he's waiting his turn on something) he sucks his right thumb and plays with his belly button. Sometimes instead of the belly button, he sticks his hand down his shirt collar and rubs his chest area. Weird but cute. It's funny cause when he's really tired, he doesn't want to remove the thumb for any reason. He talks, holds things in the remaining fingers and even eats with it there. It's hilarious sometimes.

*started potty taining......a little. Well, we are at least hinting at it : ) He was really happy to go on the potty a few months ago, so we tried to run with it. After the baby, I didn't even want to think about training. So, that's where we're at now. He tells me when he goes sometimes, and he's willing to sit on the potty. I'm sort of dreading really potty training with him since I'm sure it will not be nearly as easy as Josie. Josie potty trained in a few days not long after she turned 2. I think we'll test the waters again in a few months when some of my sanity comes back.

* He is definitely more adventurous, independent, and a little more naughty than Josie was at this age. I can already tell Donny at age 2 is going to be harder than Josie at age 2.

*He adore his sister. A lot. They both really love each other. Like all siblings, they are at each other's throats more than I'd like, but after they cry and whine to me about it, they go back to loving each other more than anything. I am always hearing them playing or doing something together while they laugh hysterically. The laughing gets louder and more intense until inevitably someone (Donny) get's hurt. Cause you know when they laugh that hard, they are usually doing something physical/dangerous. This  is exactly why I wanted to have kids close in age. They are the best of friends : )

*Has the best smile in the entire world. It's magnetic. Nothing can top that boy's smile!!

2 comments:

karen said...

Looked like a great B-Day to me! And what's a little shoe smash between family members?

Julie said...

I'm super jealous - Donny's communication skills are like 5 times better than Jacob's and he over a year and a half older.